Like millions of Americans, I have found myself out of work during the pandemic. At first, I was laid off from my job as a waitress. Then I started working myself as an online fitness trainer, but running the business required 10 working hours per day and I was only earning $1,000 to $2,000 per month.
So in July 2021, I decided to focus on the hub. I took my entrepreneurial experience and started using my TikTok and Instagram accounts to market wealth building tools and software online.
By October, the business had taken off and my following on TikTok had grown to over 40k followers. Since then, I’ve been making about $8000 per month in passive income through commission on my affiliate posts, including those that are several months old and recurring subscriptions to my tutorials. The nice thing is that I now only work two hours a day, and it’s often posted on social media.
When people ask me how they can create a passive income generating business, I tell them there is a lot of heavy lifting in the beginning, but it pays off in the long run.
Here is my best advice:
1. Automate your work
To generate passive income, set up automated systems at the start of your business. This will save you a lot of time as your basic tasks will be working on autopilot.
Create a product that requires limited maintenance
My entrepreneurial journey began as a personal trainer. But I found that selling an individual coaching service meant that I would always trade my time for money. To generate passive income, you have to offer a product that does not require a lot of energy to create and deliver the product.
Become an affiliate marketer to solve this problem; I currently sell products and services from other brands that I don’t need to deliver myself.
The goal is to create a product once and sell it for a long time with limited maintenance. Some examples: digital courses, online community subscriptions, and apps.
Automatically create sales funnels
A “sales funnel” is the process a customer goes through before making a purchase.
Through my business, clients find me on social media, and then are pushed through my sales funnel: they sign up to my email list and product offers are sent there.
I have a system on my website that creates the sales funnel for me; Customers are automatically added to my email list and submitted to products without you having to do anything.
I use a platform called ClickFunnels, but there are other great options like Builderall or Systeme.
Set up an automatic email reply
The “rule of seven” is considered one of the oldest rules in marketing. Based on research by Dr. Jeffrey Lant, he says you need to contact a potential customer seven times in 18 months before they are ready to buy a product.
But these days, with so many ads online, you may need to contact potential customers more often to make a sale. I use Aweber to send daily follow-up messages to potential customers who haven’t purchased my product until they purchase or cancel their subscription.
I’ve seen other business owners use GetResponse and Mailchimp to send automated emails.
2. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel
I see a lot of people trying very hard to completely reinvent the wheel with social media posts to highlight their work.
But after gaining 109,100 TikTok followers, I’ve learned that the key to spreading quickly and growing your audience is to study what works with others. Sure, you want to be original, but you should post content that people actually find interesting.
Use this process to put your own twist on social media posts:
- Study what other people in your niche are talking about. For example, if you sell health products, is there a particular conversation happening in the wellness space that you can add to, or questions that people always ask in the comments section that you can answer? Use these ideas to illustrate your message or the information and tips you’ll share.
- Pay attention to the formats used. Do your successful competitors post a lot of spoken stories, or a lot of dance-covered tips as onscreen text? Are the captions long or does the content in the post speak for itself? Notice which formats resonate and think of ways you could do something similar.
- Zero in hashtags and attention-grabbing sounds. Save the votes and hashtags you see across the platform you’re working on. Add these elements to the format you want to get your message across to as many people as possible.
To stay up to date on trends, I regularly watch the marketing creator TikToksecretsocialari, who shares her strategies for going viral and building an engaged audience.
3. Focus on solving a problem
The main objective of any business is to sell a product or service. But at the end of the day, no one cares what you sell – people care about their own goals, dreams, and problems.
You want to indirectly market your product in a way that shows how it can help meet your audience’s needs or help them achieve a goal.
4. To sell to your audience, interact with them directly
Single posts on Instagram or TikTok are great for providing value and entertainment to your audience, but it’s almost impossible for your audience to get to know them. You are Through these coordinated posts.
Having a connection with your audience is important. When people get to know who you are, they start to trust what you say and what you sell, which will lead to more sales.
I interact directly with my audience by responding to their comments and messages, or through live broadcasts on Instagram and TikTok. This gives me an opportunity to build a personal connection with them through a real back-and-forth conversation.
5. Be selective about what you promote
If you are planning to start an affiliate marketing business, these are the main things I recommend looking for:
- high gravity: Attractiveness means the number of people actively promoting the product. If that number is high, you know the product is good.
- Low response rate: If the product has a high recovery rate, it means that a lot of people were not satisfied with it, so you want to avoid it. Promoting products with high refund rates can reduce your audience’s trust in you.
- Recurring subscriptions: These are the best types of products to promote because you will receive a commission every month every time a subscriber renews their subscription.
- Positive Feedback: I always Google review the affiliate programs I research before I decide to promote them. I want to make sure that it is a widely loved product.
I also sell products that I personally enjoyed, such as the online course I used to start my business with.
Shannon Smith He is an affiliate marketer who teaches others how to make money online. Follow her on TikTok Tweet embed And the Tweet embed.
do not miss: