Welcome to version 435 of Android Apps Weekly. Here are the top headlines from the past week:
- WhatsApp may add another feature soon. The new feature is editing messages. A screenshot of the new feature started making the rounds this week and it’s fairly straightforward. You can clearly see the edit button in it. Click on the link to see the screenshot and learn more.
- Google combines Google Meet and Google Duo. This is actually a very good decision. Both apps are doing more or less the same thing and will grow faster with a dedicated team working on just one product. This is very different from the old Google where they were going to divide these two services into four for some reason. Fortunately, that old Google is now gone.
- The official YouTube app received a major update this week. It allows you to cast to your TV while also remaining mostly usable. The new trend allows the phone to be the companion and the TV still shows content. It’s actually a very good change in that you can do things like read comments and stuff much easier with the new UI.
- Google Play Points is about to get more benefit. Google Play is changing things as you can use Google Play Points at checkout for in-app purchases. It will work as a payment method. It is similar to how Samsung used to do points in the Samsung Theme Store. You can choose the points and pay with them. Click on the link to find out more.
- RCS is having some issues with Google Messages. One of our writers enabled it and immediately started receiving spam. He wrote an article about it and got a response from Google. Later, Google temporarily disabled RCS in India, after it found that Indian companies were abusing RCS to send promotional messages. You can click on the links to find out more.
Lost Shadow: The Dark Knight
price: Free to play
Lost Shadow: Dark Knight is an RPG with a fairly typical story. You play as a knight who embodies the last ray of hope in a world plunged into darkness by war. It is a 2D game which is a bit strange at first. You get used to it very quickly. The world is full of bad guys and you hack and slash them to death. Meanwhile, you get stronger, fight bosses and advance in the game. There is a card system that acts as your abilities as well as your restorative items. There is also an idle game element where your hero gets stronger even when you are not playing. Some may like it, some may not, but that’s not bad if you like this type of game.
MonkeyWerx is an online store that sells a range of things. It’s mostly handmade stuff like the one you find on Etsy, but it’s great that this is something of its own. The app works fine. You can browse the store’s inventory, buy stuff, and also listen to podcasts. There is a blog section too. The podcast is military and political commentary, so you may or may not enjoy it to your taste. However, the things you can buy look very good. Personally, I’ve never shopped with MonkeyWerx before, but I can’t see someone who doesn’t enjoy a good beard balm sometimes.
Rotaeno is a new Japanese rhythm game. The mechanics are fairly standard. You can swipe, tap and swipe your fingers around the phone to hit notes to the beat melody. This also adds gyroscope support for more zazz. There are abundant tracks for a number of rhythm game authors across a few different genres. The developers are also promising more songs in future updates. The gyroscope feature works well and it’s always good to see a new rhythm game on mobile.
Pokedexus is an unofficial fan-made Pokedex app for Android. Contains all 898 Pokemon with all their variations. It also has some little extras like quiz game, leaderboards and some other mini games to keep things interesting. We’re honestly not sure if this is a game or an app, but it works first and foremost like Pokedex which makes it a companion app. It’s completely free with no in-app purchases or ads to spoil things. It also has element dex, ability dex, type dex and nature dex so you can use it for more than just Pokemon.
price: Free to play
Diablo Immortal is the second massive release of the mobile game in the last month. The other is Apex Legends Mobile. This is the same genre as all the other Diablo games. It’s an RPG with MMORPG style interactions where you choose a hero, unlock abilities, and explore the world while collecting loot. You can interact with other players in many ways and this is a true MMORPG in that respect. Other than that, it is a mobile Diablo game with some of the typical dangers of a mobile game.
Yes, this game got a second paragraph because the launch wasn’t great. Apparently, there is a problem with the game on Samsung devices with Exynos chipsets. Blizzard is looking at it as we talk. Otherwise, people seem to enjoy the game in general. You’ll likely be vying for the Best of the Year awards when December comes around.
If we missed any big releases of Android apps or games, let us know about them in the comments.
thank you for reading. Check it out next: